Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Facebook

A few of you may have noticed my recent absence from Facebook.
There are a couple of reasons for this.

 The main reason I use Facebook is to stay in touch with friends and family and occasionally to be a blessing to others. Since we are in the ministry, Facebook comes in super handy for advertising events and in general, for keeping others "plugged in" to what's going on. However, lately there has been an "issue" and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Instead of using it for positive or informative purposes, people seem to be using it as a means of saying things that #1. are none of ANYONES business, #2.bashing others, or #3. using Facebook as a way to hurt or attack others. I have seen people "innocently" posting things that I'm pretty sure were meant to hurt and I have seen so-called Christians posting pictures or statuses that would make a grown man blush either out of embarrassment or shame . I find it quite comical to picture Jesus having a problem with someone so instead of acting how He always did, suppose He got out a scroll and began to blab it to the whole world and list the persons faults for all to see. Comical only because that is so far from how our Saviour would act. As a matter of fact, He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..."

Anything created for good, satan will try to use for bad. Sadly, I think he has gotten all over Facebook. The great thing about this, is we have the ability to either allow that, or not. I personally will not allow it. I have been hurt, stressed and worried about things that should never have been an issue because of facebook and users' lack of self control. But because this is the age of social media, I have realized that  it is such a great tool to have and use, and I don't have to  delete it altogether to eliminate stress and heartache. So, I have decided that I will make full use of the "hide" function, and when I feel that someone is being offensive or acting in a way that I deem inappropriate, I will hide them from my newsfeed. If you are my friend on Facebook, then please understand if you put anything on there that would be offensive if Jesus Himself read it, then I will hide you (or delete if necessary). I know that none of us are perfect, we all have the freedom of speech, but come on! A little common sense and maturity is all it takes and if we all used it, Facebook would be an AWESOME thing!!
So with this being said: I have taken a small break from it and prayed about deleting it altogether. The conclusion that I have come to through scripture and prayer is that if I can be an uplifting, positive and godly example, it is better than keeping silent. Gal. 5:22-23a "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..." I have found that this verse is synonymous with the old question to live by, WWJD? If our public profile displays any of the qualities mentioned in Gal. 5:22, then we are on our way to pleasing a holy and just God. I plan to ask myself before each and every post, "Is this in any way an attribute of any of the fruits of the Spirit?" If it goes against any of those things, I won't post it.
Again, I'm not telling you how to behave on Facebook. I am simply letting you know where I stand and how I personally will govern my Facebook.
Especially for my Christian friends and family: I love you ALL and want to remind you that we are connected to one another for ETERNITY. We should love eachother and help one another. Pray for eachother!!   If we have any ill will or hard feelings towards a brother or sister in Christ, regardless of what they have done, we need to ask God to remove those feelings from OUR hearts, or else the fault lies within us. I'm just glad that Jesus has been tolerant with me. I'm glad He doesn't  air my dirty laundry publically.

3 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly. I think Facebook has become a tool that people use purposefully to hurt people. How unfortunate! I know we have all been the victims of misinterpretation, exclusion, hatefulness, and all the other downfalls of Facebook and if it weren't for my family I would delete it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Mrs. Lynn you are such an idol.. and I look up to you. You're awesome and I love you. :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete